Páginas

segunda-feira, 30 de maio de 2011

though,through,throughly,thought

THOUGH - conjunction
used to introduce a statement that makes the main statement coming after it seem surprising, unlikely, or unexpected [= although]:
Though she's almost 40, she still plans to compete.
Pascal went ahead with the experiment even though he knew it was dangerous.

THOUGH - adverb

used after adding a fact, opinion, or question which seems surprising after what you have just said, or which makes what you have just said seem less true:
Two heart attacks in a year. It hasn't stopped him smoking, though.
It sounds like a lot of fun. Isn't it rather risky though? 


THROUGH - preposition, adverb
door/passage etc into one side or end of an entrance, passage, hole etc and out of the other side or end:
She smiled at him as he walked through the door.
Water will be pumped through a pipe.
I managed to squeeze through a gap in the hedge.
They were suddenly plunged into darkness as the train went through a tunnel.
There were people standing in the doorway and I couldn't get through.


THROUGH - adjective

be through (with somebody/something) informala) to have finished doing something or using something:I'm not through just yet - I should be finished in an hour.
Are you through with the computer yet?
b) to no longer be having a relationship with someone:That's it! Simon and I are through.
I'm through with you!
 
THOROUGHLY - adverb

1.completely:She sat feeling thoroughly miserable.
thoroughly cooked meat
2.carefully, so that nothing is forgotten:The room had been thoroughly cleaned.
THOUGHT - verb THINK
Think  thought  thought
opinion/belief [transitive] to have a particular opinion or to believe that something is truethink (that) 
I think that you're being unfair.
I thought I heard something.
He didn't think anyone would believe him.
Do you think I should call him?



Fill in the blanks with the words above.
1."What are you going to do with your day off?" "I don't know - I haven't really ____________ about it yet."
2.Success is achieved by analysing our market carefully, then researching and testing our products _________________.
3.I guess he'd been drinking, ______________ I wasn't completely sure of that.
4.I think she's Swiss. I'm not sure _______________.
5.Fill out this form before you pass ______________ customs.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário